Teradata and Apache Kafka using Kafka connect

Viewed 463

Apologies if my question is all over the place but I am new to Apache Kafka and currently I am trying to import data from a Teradata table (on a VM) into Kafka using my Windows OS. So far I've done the following:

1- Download Apache Kafka 2- Run the Kafka server and Zookeper. 3- Write a producer class in JAVA using IntelliJ IDE. 4- Consume the output of the producer through Kafka's kafka-console-consumer.batscript which comes with the downloaded zip for Apache Kafka.

I have read a few posts and found that to connect Kafka and Teradata I need to use Kafka connect. But a few things confuse me:

1- Most posts I've come across use Confluent. I have read that confluent is for Linux operating systems only. Is there a way to perform my task of ingesting data into Kafka without the use of Confluent?

2- I also know that I have to copy kafka-connect-jdbc jars to Kafka libs folder. Then I have to copy Teradata JDBC jars into Kafka lib folder.

What is the next step for integrating Teradata or any other database with Kafka? How do I create the configuration files in intelliJ and link those with Kafka?

1 Answers

confluent is for Linux operating systems only.

Confluent CLI, yes. Confluent Platform, no.

Ingesting data into Kafka without the use of Confluent?

Sure. Kafka Connect is packaged with Apache Kafka, which Confluent distributes. Again, not OS limitation

What is the next step for integrating Teradata or any other database with Kafka?

Run Kafka Connect using the scripts for Windows. Property files remain the same

http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#connect_user

Note that the JDBC connector only works with certain database dialects, and Teradata might not work as expected

Related