I am trying to trade some run-time checks for compile-time checks to identify the base class of an object with template specializations.
The code compiles fine, but I can't figure out why the enable_if statement always end up invalid or equal to void because I'm always landing on the base template struct.
#include <iostream>
#include <type_traits>
using namespace std;
struct BaseOne {};
struct DerivedOne : BaseOne {};
struct BaseTwo {};
struct DerivedTwo : BaseTwo {};
struct Default {};
template<typename T, typename = void>
struct get_category_impl {
static constexpr int value = 0;
};
template<typename T>
struct get_category_impl<T, typename enable_if<is_base_of<BaseOne, T>::value, T>::type> {
static constexpr int value = 1;
};
template<typename T>
struct get_category_impl<T, typename enable_if<is_base_of<BaseTwo, T>::value, T>::type> {
static constexpr int value = 2;
};
template<typename T>
constexpr int get_category = get_category_impl<T>::value;
int main() {
cout << get_category<BaseOne> << "\n"; // prints 0
cout << get_category<DerivedOne> << "\n"; // prints 0
cout << get_category<BaseTwo> << "\n"; // prints 0
cout << get_category<DerivedTwo> << "\n"; // prints 0
cout << get_category<Default> << "\n"; // prints 0
}