The following situation is given:
A new job is sent to an API via Post Request. This API returns a JobID and the HTTP ResponseCode 202.
This JobID is then used to request a status endpoint. If the end point has a "Finished" property set in the response body, you can continue with step 3.
The results are queried via a result endpoint using the JobID and can be processed.
My question is how I can solve this elegantly and cleanly. Are there perhaps already ready-to-use libraries that implement exactly this functionality? I could not find such functionality for RestSharp or another HttpClient. The current solution looks like this:
async Task<string> PostNewJob()
{
var restClient = new RestClient("https://baseUrl/");
var restRequest = new RestRequest("jobs");
//add headers
var response = await restClient.ExecutePostTaskAsync(restRequest);
string jobId = JsonConvert.DeserializeObject<string>(response.Content);
return jobId;
}
async Task WaitTillJobIsReady(string jobId)
{
string jobStatus = string.Empty;
var request= new RestRequest(jobId) { Method = Method.GET };
do
{
if (!String.IsNullOrEmpty(jobStatus))
Thread.Sleep(5000); //wait for next status update
var response = await restClient.ExecuteGetTaskAsync(request, CancellationToken.None);
jobStatus = JsonConvert.DeserializeObject<string>(response.Content);
} while (jobStatus != "finished");
}
async Task<List<dynamic>> GetJobResponse(string jobID)
{
var restClient = new RestClient(@"Url/bulk/" + jobID);
var restRequest = new RestRequest(){Method = Method.GET};
var response = await restClient.ExecuteGetTaskAsync(restRequest, CancellationToken.None);
dynamic downloadResponse = JsonConvert.DeserializeObject(response.Content);
var responseResult = new List<dynamic>() { downloadResponse?.ToList() };
return responseResult;
}
async main()
{
var jobId = await PostNewJob();
WaitTillJobIsReady(jobID).Wait();
var responseResult = await GetJobResponse(jobID);
//handle result
}
As @Paulo Morgado said, I should not use Thread.Sleep / Task Delay in production code. But in my opinion I have to use it in the method WaitTillJobIsReady() ? Otherwise I would overwhelm the API with Get Requests in the loop?
What is the best practice for this type of problem?