I'm parsing two text files that describe tests. For that purpose, I have two structs to hold test instances:
struct testcase_xy {
public:
testcase_xy() = default;
testcase_xy(float x_, float y_, float yaw_, float pitch_) :x(x_), y(y_), yaw(yaw_), pitch(pitch_) {}
friend std::ifstream& operator>> (std::ifstream& in, testcase_xy& t);
friend std::ostream& operator<< (std::ostream& out, const testcase_xy& t);
float x = 0;
float y = 0;
float yaw = 0;
float pitch = 0;
};
struct testcase_mat {
testcase_mat() : pitch(0), yaw(0) { mat.resize(9); }
testcase_mat(float p, float y, std::vector<float> m) : pitch(p), yaw(y), mat(m) {}
friend std::ifstream& operator>> (std::ifstream& in, testcase_mat& m);
friend std::ofstream& operator<< (std::ostream& out, const testcase_mat& m);
float pitch = 0;
float yaw = 0;
std::vector<float> mat;
};
Later in the file, I declare operator>> and operator<< to read from file and output to std::cout, for both structs.
std::ifstream& operator>> (std::ifstream& in, testcase_xy& t)
{
in >> t.x >> t.y >> t.yaw >> t.pitch;
return in;
}
std::ostream& operator<< (std::ostream& out, const testcase_xy& t) {
out << "testcase xy x: " << t.x << " y: " << t.y << " yaw: " << " " << t.yaw << " pitch: " << t.pitch << std::endl;
return out;
}
std::ifstream& operator>> (std::ifstream& in, testcase_mat& m)
{
in >> m.pitch >> m.yaw;
float value;
for (int i = 0; i < 9; ++i) {
in >> value;
m.mat.push_back(value);
}
return in;
}
std::ostream& operator<< (std::ostream& out, const testcase_mat& m) {
out << "testcase m: pitch: " << m.pitch << " yaw: " << m.yaw << std::endl;
for (int i = 0; i < 9; ++i)
out << m.mat[i] << std::endl;
return out;
}
However, the compiler gives a compilation error:
cannot overload functions distinguished by return type alone
I don't understand why, since the operator>> and operator<< that I overload for each of the structs have different parameter types, since the structures are of different type.
What's going on?