I'm using the Rfast package, which imports the package RcppZiggurat. I'm running R 3.6.3 on a Linux cluster (Red Hat 6.1). The packages are installed on my local directory but R is installed system-wide.
The Rfast functions (e.g. colsums()) work well when I call them directly. But when I call them in a foreach() loop like the following (EDIT: I added the code to register the cluster as pointed out by Rui Barradas but it didn't fix the problem).
library(Rfast)
library(doParallel)
library(foreach)
cores <- detectCores()
cl <- makeCluster(cores)
registerDoParallel(cl)
A <- matrix(rnorm(1e6), 1000, 1000)
cm <- foreach(n = 1:4, .packages = 'Rfast') %dopar% colmeans(A)
stopCluster(cl)
then I get an error:
unable to load shared object '/home/users/sutd/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.6/RcppZiggurat/libs/RcppZiggurat.so':
libgsl.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Somehow, the dynamic library is recognized when called directly but not when called under foreach().
I know that libgsl.so is located in /usr/lib64/, so I've added the following line at the beginning of my R script
Sys.setenv(LD_LIBRARY_PATH=paste("/usr/lib64/", Sys.getenv("LD_LIBRARY_PATH"), sep = ":"))
But it didn't work.
I have also tried to do dyn.load('/usr/lib64/libgsl.so') but I get the following error:
Error in dyn.load("/usr/lib64/libgsl.so") : unable to load shared object '/usr/lib64/libgsl.so':
/usr/lib64/libgsl.so: undefined symbol: cblas_ctrmv
How do I make the dependencies available in the foreach() parallel loops?
NOTE
In the actual use case I am using the genetic algorithm package GA, and have GA::ga() which handles the foreach() loop, and within the loop I use a function in my own package which calls the Rfast functions. So I'm hoping that there is a solution where I don't have to modify the foreach() call.