I get InvalidURL: URL can't contain control characters when I try to send a request using urllib

Viewed 24638

I am trying to get a JSON response from the link used as a parameter to the urllib request. but it gives me an error that it can't contain control characters.

how can I solve the issue?

start_url = "https://devbusiness.un.org/solr-sitesearch-output/10//0/ds_field_last_updated/desc?bundle_fq =procurement_notice&sm_vid_Institutions_fq=&sm_vid_Procurement_Type_fq=&sm_vid_Countries_fq=&sm_vid_Sectors_fq= &sm_vid_Languages_fq=English&sm_vid_Notice_Type_fq=&deadline_multifield_fq=&ts_field_project_name_fq=&label_fq=&sm_field_db_ref_no__fq=&sm_field_loan_no__fq=&dm_field_deadlineFrom_fq=&dm_field_deadlineTo_fq =&ds_field_future_posting_dateFrom_fq=&ds_field_future_posting_dateTo_fq=&bm_field_individual_consulting_fq="
    
source = urllib.request.urlopen(start_url).read()

the error I get is :

URL can't contain control characters. '/solr-sitesearch-output/10//0/ds_field_last_updated/desc?bundle_fq =procurement_notice&sm_vid_Institutions_fq=&sm_vid_Procurement_Type_fq=&sm_vid_Countries_fq=&sm_vid_Sectors_fq= &sm_vid_Languages_fq=English&sm_vid_Notice_Type_fq=&deadline_multifield_fq=&ts_field_project_name_fq=&label_fq=&sm_field_db_ref_no__fq=&sm_field_loan_no__fq=&dm_field_deadlineFrom_fq=&dm_field_deadlineTo_fq =&ds_field_future_posting_dateFrom_fq=&ds_field_future_posting_dateTo_fq=&bm_field_individual_consulting_fq=' (found at least ' ')
6 Answers

Replacing whitespace with:

url = url.replace(" ", "%20")

if the problem is with the whitespace.

Spaces are not allowed in URL, I removed them and it seems to be working now:

import urllib.request
start_url = "https://devbusiness.un.org/solr-sitesearch-output/10//0/ds_field_last_updated/desc?bundle_fq =procurement_notice&sm_vid_Institutions_fq=&sm_vid_Procurement_Type_fq=&sm_vid_Countries_fq=&sm_vid_Sectors_fq= &sm_vid_Languages_fq=English&sm_vid_Notice_Type_fq=&deadline_multifield_fq=&ts_field_project_name_fq=&label_fq=&sm_field_db_ref_no__fq=&sm_field_loan_no__fq=&dm_field_deadlineFrom_fq=&dm_field_deadlineTo_fq =&ds_field_future_posting_dateFrom_fq=&ds_field_future_posting_dateTo_fq=&bm_field_individual_consulting_fq="
url = start_url.replace(" ","")
source = urllib.request.urlopen(url).read()

Solr search strings can get pretty weird. Better use the 'quote' method to encode characters before making the request. See example below:

from urllib.parse import quote

start_url = "https://devbusiness.un.org/solr-sitesearch-output/10//0/ds_field_last_updated/desc?bundle_fq =procurement_notice&sm_vid_Institutions_fq=&sm_vid_Procurement_Type_fq=&sm_vid_Countries_fq=&sm_vid_Sectors_fq= &sm_vid_Languages_fq=English&sm_vid_Notice_Type_fq=&deadline_multifield_fq=&ts_field_project_name_fq=&label_fq=&sm_field_db_ref_no__fq=&sm_field_loan_no__fq=&dm_field_deadlineFrom_fq=&dm_field_deadlineTo_fq =&ds_field_future_posting_dateFrom_fq=&ds_field_future_posting_dateTo_fq=&bm_field_individual_consulting_fq="
    
source = urllib.request.urlopen(quote(start_url)).read()

Better later than never...

You probably already found out by now but let's get it written here.

There can't be any space character in the URL, and there are 2, after bundle_fq e dm_field_deadlineTo_fq

Remove those and you're good to go

Like the error message says, there are some control characters in your url, which doesn't seem to be a valid one by the way.

Related