In Azure Cosmos DB (SQL API) I've created a container whose "partition key" is set to /part_key and I am now trying to create and edit data in Data Explorer.
I created an item that looks like this:
{
"id": "test_id",
"value": "val000",
"magicNumber": 32,
"part_key": "asdf"
}
I am now trying to create an item that looks like this:
{
"id": "frank",
"value": "val001",
"magicNumber": 33,
"part_key": "asdf"
}
Based on the documentation I believe that each item within a partition key needs a distinct id, which to me implies that multiple items can in fact share a partition key, which makes a lot of sense.
However, I get an error when I try to save this second item:
{"code":409,"body":{"code":"Conflict","message":"Entity with the specified id already exists in the system...
I see that if I change the value of part_key to something else (say asdf2), then I can save this new item.
Either my expectations about this functionality are wrong, or else I'm doing this wrong somehow. What is wrong here?