Ever since I updated to Xcode 12, I have not been able to print out variables in the console while debugging with lldb.
Using print() statements directly in Swift code outputs to the console as expected.
A command in the console such as po "hi" outputs "hi" to the console as expected.
Trying to run po <variable_name>, instead, always outputs this line:
error: <EXPR>:3:1: error: cannot find 'variable_name' in scope
instead of the expected variable's value.
Steps I took
Add these lines to Swift code
let example = "hi" print(example)Put a breakpoint on the second line, the one with the
print()statementRun the code and wait for the breakpoint to be hit
Try to run
po examplein the debug console
Expected result
It should print "hi" in the console
Actual result
It prints this error line
error: <EXPR>:3:1: error: cannot find 'example' in scope
It's the same when running on the simulator or a device. I've tried activating the console, and restarting Xcode.
I've tried creating a new project in Xcode12 and that works fine, my other older projects created with previous versions of Xcode work fine in Xcode 12.
I've tried confronting the Build settings both with the other projects and with a newly created project and it seems nothing's wrong: optimization is set to None as it should for debug build configurations and the run scheme is set to launch a debug build configuration.
Where else could the problem be?
