Youtube-dl Playlists Downloading Stops Running “Finished downloading playlist: playlist” error

Viewed 4231

I was happily downloading channels playlists but out of the blue youtube-dl detects any channel playlists as fully downloaded. I can download videos and playlists but no channels playlists.

Desired behavior: youtube-dl downloading all playlists of a choosen channel.

Specific problem or error: youtube-dl detects all playlists as already downloaded and it downloads 0 videos.

Code necessary to reproduce de problem:

youtube-dl -i https://www.youtube.com/c/MentalOutlaw/playlists

Result:

[youtube:playlists] MentalOutlaw: Downloading webpage
[download] Downloading playlist: Mental Outlaw
[youtube:playlists] playlist Mental Outlaw: Downloading 0 videos
[download] Finished downloading playlist: Mental Outlaw

I've tried removing yt-dl and reinstalling from another repo. Restarting computer. Tried different directories and different channels. Thing is I did it before but all of a sudden it stops doing it.

OSPop!_OS 20.04 LTS

youtube-dl version 2020.09.20
4 Answers

Issue is fixed in the latest release 2020.11.18. (Related Issue: #26952)

pypi has the latest version pip install youtube_dl

I had also received this message while downloading videos from private playlist (it gets updated few times a month, and I have the same script that worked for a long time), these steps helped(do not use apt as it can receive updated later than pip version):

pip3 install youtube-dl --upgrade

To install the latest version of youtube-dl, then I updated my cookies file, because they had expired

it looks like this is a new issue caused due to Google changing stuff on youtube and has not been updated by ytdl yet. Look in to the following github issue for more info. Your best bet right now is to download each playlist separately unfortunately (:

P.S. Maybe try downgrading your youtube-dl to a lower version and it might work, i don't think it will though.

Related