cannot push to bitbucket 403 "authentication failed"

Viewed 239

I keep trying to push a project to a bitbucket repo but I keep getting 403 errors. not sure why. I am the admin of the project. I have read and write privileges. and yet I cannot push anything to bitbucket.

I have tried googling around for the last 30 minutes but nothing solves it

I have a Mac not windows since that seems to be relevant I only have the one bitbucket account so no multiple accounts issue. there are 0 permissions restrictions it is an empty project with nothing in it or history beyond 5 minutes ago. I have the right git https address as far as I know I am not using mercurial or whatever

so how do I authenticate bitbucket from the terminal and why does Atlassian have 0 helpful resources for this?

1 Answers

Regarding your current Git installation, check if one of the answers to "GitHub for Mac error: git: 'credential-osxkeychain' is not a git command" can resolve the issue.

But if not, you can at least unset the credential helper, assuming it was set globally, not by your Git installation.

For that, check where it is defined:

git config --show-origin --show-scope -l|grep helper
git config --global --unset credential.helper

Regarding the push, since you just have created the repository, you can force push it:

git push -f -u origin master
Related