XCode 12.0.1 and 12.1 Do not build universal applications

Viewed 947

Using XCode 12.0.1 or 12.1 on MacOS 10.15.7 on a MacBook Pro, I cannot get my Mac OS application to compile for the arm64 architecture (i.e. make a Universal application). My project has evolved through many many many XCode versions, so I thought maybe it was corrupted somehow.

So, I created a new non-document-based app project in XCode. I then edited the scheme for Run to build for Release. The default build settings included the arm64 archtecture, and "Build Active Archtecture Only" set to NO for Release. I then set the tool bar scheme setting to buid for "Any Mac", built the project and looked at the build log. It built only for the x86_64 architecture.

Apple's documentaton says it should build for both architectures with these settings. What am I missing?

2 Answers

The problem is Apple's documentation, whoch clearly says XCode 12 builds universal. It does not, as of this writing, you MUST use the xcode 12 BETA.

I've had older Xcode-Projects that just wouldn't build universal binaries. It was due to a VALID_ARCHS user defined variable in one of the build settings (at the very bottom of the list). Once removed, universal binaries were created.

Related