I am trying to learn React hooks, and trying to convert existing codebase to use hooks, but I am confused.
Is it normal to set state inside useEffect? Would I be causing the dreaded infinite loop if I do so?
import React, { useState, useEffect } from 'react';
import App from 'next/app';
import Layout from './../components/Layout';
function MyApp({ Component, pageProps }) {
const [ cart, setCart ] = useState([]);
const addToCart = (product) => {
setCart((prevCartState) => {
return [ ...prevCartState, product ];
});
localStorage.setItem('cart', JSON.stringify(cart));
};
//mimicking componentDidMount to run some effect using useEffect
//useEffect(() => setCount((currentCount) => currentCount + 1), []);
useEffect(() => {
const cartCache = JSON.parse(localStorage.getItem('cart'));
//cart = cartCache; Good or bad?
cartCache || setCart(() =>{
});
}, []);
return <Component {...pageProps} />;
}
My original class based component:
/*
export default class MyApp extends App {
state = {
cart: []
}
componentDidMount = () => {
const cart = JSON.parse(localStorage.getItem('cart'));
if (cart) {
this.setState({
cart
});
}
};
addToCart = (product) => {
this.setState({
cart: [...this.state.cart, product]
});
localStorage.setItem('cart', JSON.stringify(this.state.cart));
}
render() {
const { Component, pageProps } = this.props
return (
<contextCart.Provider value={{ cart: this.state.cart, addToCart: this.addToCart }}>
<Layout>
<Component {...pageProps} />
</Layout>
</contextCart.Provider>
)
}
}*/