Make 3D figure of 2D images "projecting information" onto each other

Viewed 182

Is there a way to make a z-stack of 2-D images, at the isometric view in 3-D, of points in each 2-D image projecting downwards to the next slice of 2-D images? I am certain there is a technical term for this, but I just don't have the vocabulary to find the most pertinent answer. Would someone be able to point me in the right direction?

Below, I've drawn an "idea" of what this looks like. I'd love to know if this is possible without re-inventing wheels for matplotlib or other Python plotting libraries.

enter image description here

1 Answers

The original question was posed for doing so in Python. After many months of searching, I found a way to do so in TikZ. I cannot consider this my original work, it is largely based on Pascal Seppecher's interaction diagram found here.

To reconstitute my question above, one can use the above template to define:

  1. Agents of different shapes, specify fills
  2. The frame (plane) which they reside in
  3. Flows of directed edges that communicate how agents interact with each other in each plane
  4. Inter-plane interaction flows

enter image description here

https://texample.net/tikz/examples/interaction-diagram/

Related