I'm learning about external pointers, XPtr, in Rcpp. I made the following test functions:
// [[Rcpp::export]]
Rcpp::XPtr<arma::Mat<int>> create_xptr(int i, int j) {
arma::Mat<int>* ptr(new arma::Mat<int>(i, j));
Rcpp::XPtr<arma::Mat<int>> p(ptr, true);
return p;
}
// [[Rcpp::export]]
void fill_xptr(Rcpp::XPtr<arma::Mat<int>>& xptr, int k) {
(*xptr).fill(k);
}
// [[Rcpp::export]]
arma::Mat<int> return_val(Rcpp::XPtr<arma::Mat<int>>& xptr) {
return *xptr;
}
Now on the R side I can of-course create an instance and work with it:
x <- create_xptr(1000, 1000) # (1)
Say, for some reason I accidentally called create_xptr again and assigned the result to x, i.e
x <- create_xptr(1000, 1000) # (2)
Then, I have no longer access to the pointer i created in (1) which makes sense and hence, I cannot free the memory. What I would like is, that the second time (2) it just overwrite the first one (1). And secondly, if I create an external pointer in some local scope (say a simple for loop), should the memory used then be freed automatically when it goes out of scope? I've tried the following:
for (i in 1:3) {
a <- create_xptr(1000, 100000)
fill_xptr(a, 1)
}
But it just adds to the memory usage for each i.
I have tried reading some code on different git-repos, old posts here on stack read a little about finalizers and garbage collection in R. I can't seem to put together the puzzle.