I created a custom validation attribute that I want to use for my API controller DTOs. This attribute needs values from the configured options, that's why I'm injecting them in the constructor, so that I can use the options service later on in the IsValid and FormatErrorMessage method.
internal class MyValidationAttribute : ValidationAttribute
{
private readonly IOptionsMonitor<MyOptions> myOptionsMonitor;
public MyValidationAttribute(IOptionsMonitor<MyOptions> myOptionsMonitor)
{
this.myOptionsMonitor = myOptionsMonitor;
}
public override bool IsValid(object value)
{
// ... use myOptionsMonitor here ...
return false;
}
public override string FormatErrorMessage(string name)
{
// ... use myOptionsMonitor here ...
return string.Empty;
}
}
Unfortunately when I want to use this as an attribute in my DTO
internal class MyDTO
{
[MyValidationAttribute]
public string Foo { get; set; }
}
I get the error message
There is no argument given that corresponds to the required formal parameter 'myOptionsMonitor' of 'MyValidationAttribute.MyValidationAttribute(IOptionsMonitor)'
Is there a way I can use dependency injection for validation attributes? I know that I can use the ValidationContext like so
internal class MyValidationAttribute : ValidationAttribute
{
protected override ValidationResult IsValid(object value, ValidationContext validationContext)
{
if (value != null)
{
IOptionsMonitor<MyOptions> myOptionsMonitor = validationContext.GetService<IOptionsMonitor<MyOptions>>();
// ...
return ValidationResult.Success;
}
return new ValidationResult("Something failed");
}
}
But I want to use the FormatErrorMessage method from the base class and this has no access to the options service.
My current solution
For now, this is the code I'm using
[AttributeUsage(AttributeTargets.Field | AttributeTargets.Property)]
internal class CustomValidationAttribute : ValidationAttribute
{
protected override ValidationResult IsValid(object value, ValidationContext validationContext)
{
IOptionsMonitor<MyOptions> myOptionsMonitor = validationContext.GetService<IOptionsMonitor<MyOptions>>();
Dictionary<string, string> myMap = myOptionsMonitor.CurrentValue.MyMap;
string key = value.ToString() ?? string.Empty;
if (myMap.ContainsKey(key))
return ValidationResult.Success;
string[] formattedKeys = myMap.Keys.Select(key => $"'{key}'").ToArray();
string keysText = string.Join(" / ", formattedKeys);
string errorMessage = $"Invalid value. Valid ones are {keysText}";
return new ValidationResult(errorMessage);
}
}