I have one file with ~90k lines of text in 4 columns.
col1 col2 col3 value1
...
col1 col2 col3 value90000
A second file contains ~200 lines, each one corresponding to a value from column 4 of the larger file.
value1
value2
...
value200
I want to read in each value from the smaller file, find the corresponding line in the larger file, and return that line. I have written a perl script that places all the values from the small file into an array, then iterates through that array using each value as a regex to search through the larger file. After some debugging, I feel like I have it almost working, but my script only returns the line corresponding to the LAST element of the array.
Here is the code I have:
open my $fh1, '<', $file1 or die "Could not open $file1: $!";
my @array = <$fh1>;
close $fh1;
my $count = 0;
while ($count < scalar @array) {
my $value = $array[$count];
open my $fh2, '<', $file2 or die "Could not open $file2: $!";
while (<$fh2>) {
if ($_ =~ /$value/) {
my $line = $_;
print $line;
}
}
close $fh2;
$count++;
}
This returns only:
col1 col2 col3 value200
I can get it to print each value of the array, so I know it's iterating through properly, but it's not using each value to search the larger file as I intended. I can also plug any of the values from the array into the $value variable and return the appropriate line, so I know the lines are there. I suspect my bug may have to do with either:
- newlines in the array elements, since all the elements have a newline except the last one. I've tried
chompbut get the same result.
or
- something to do with the way I'm handling the second file with opening/closing. I've tried moving or removing the
closecommand and that either breaks the code or doesn't help.