How to containerise CodeIgniter project using Docker?

Viewed 11927

I'm very new to Docker and I have a CodeIgniter project that I have been working on via my localhost (XAMPP) up until now. I now want to host my project on Docker using GCP.

Would anyone be able to provide guidance as to how I would write a docker-compose.yml to containerise the project with redis, php, mysql and and nginx containers? Also how would I need my CI project structured for it to work?

3 Answers

I use docker with Codeigniter 4 on daily basis. Here's my structure, although in my structure I'm not using neither redis or nginx. I'm using apache instead.

Folder structure:

.database
.docker
  |php
     |sites-available
       |site.conf
     |Dockerfile
  |custom.ini
  |docker-compose.yml
.git
app
  |app
  |public
  |tests
  |vendor
  |writable
  |.env
  |composer.json
  |composer.lock
  |spark
.gitignore

As for the config files, here's the docker-compose.yml

version: '3'
services:
    web:
        container_name: ci4-web
        build:
            context: ./php
        ports:
            - 80:80
        volumes:
            - ../app:/var/www/html/app/
            - ./custom.ini:/usr/local/etc/php/conf.d/custom.ini
        links:
            - mysql
        depends_on:
          - mysql
    mysql:
        container_name: db-ci4
        image: mysql:latest
        volumes:
            - ./db:/var/lib/mysql
        command: --default-authentication-plugin=mysql_native_password
        ports:
            - 3306:3306
        environment:
            MYSQL_ROOT_PASSWORD: root

The Dockerfile

FROM php:7.2-apache
RUN apt-get update && \
    apt-get install -y
RUN apt-get install -y curl
RUN apt-get install -y build-essential libssl-dev zlib1g-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libfreetype6-dev
RUN apt-get install -y libicu-dev
COPY sites-available/elioter.conf /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/elioter.conf
RUN apt-get update
RUN docker-php-ext-install intl
RUN docker-php-ext-configure intl
RUN docker-php-ext-install mysqli pdo pdo_mysql zip mbstring
RUN a2enmod rewrite
RUN docker-php-ext-configure gd --with-freetype-dir=/usr/include/ --with-jpeg-dir=/usr/include/ \
    && docker-php-ext-install gd
RUN service apache2 restart

my site.conf

<VirtualHost *:80>
    DocumentRoot "/var/www/html/app/public/"
    ServerName ci4.local
    <Directory "/var/www/html/app/public/">
        AllowOverride all
    </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

On my youtube series about codeigniter 4 I created a github repo that reflects this structure:

I came across this question when I was learning docker and wanted to leave an update here. I'm using bitnami/codeigniter3. This was easy for me as I did not have to migrate my application to Codeigniter 4.

Recently I was having trouble with same thing but somehow I figure it out and I used the below code. Also, I have setup MySQL on a different port as I was running another app on 3306.

version: "1.0"
services:
  webserver:
    image: thecodingmachine/php:7.4-v3-apache-node12
    container_name: test-webserver
    working_dir: /var/www/html
    environment:
      PHP_EXTENSIONS: apcu pdo_mysql opcache redis zip gd yaml exif xdebug
      PHP_EXTENSION_GD: 1
      PHP_EXTENSION_MYSQLI: 1
      APACHE_DOCUMENT_ROOT: app
      APACHE_RUN_GROUP: www-data # use www-data user in container.. which is also used on most webservers for deployer
      APACHE_RUN_USER: www-data
      PHP_EXTENSION_XDEBUG: 1
    depends_on:
      - mysql
    volumes:
      - ./:/var/www/html
      - ~/.ssh:/root/.ssh
    stdin_open: true
    tty: true
    ports:
      - "9090:80"
  mysql:
    image: mysql:5.7
    container_name: test-mysql
    restart: unless-stopped
    ports:
      - "3307:3307"
    expose:
      - 3307
    environment:
      MYSQL_ROOT_PASSWORD: MYSQL_ALLOW_EMPTY_PASSWORD
      MYSQL_DATABASE: test-db
      MYSQL_USER: testuser
      MYSQL_PASSWORD: password
      MYSQL_TCP_PORT: 3307
  phpmyadmin:
    image: phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin
    restart: unless-stopped
    container_name: test-phpadmin
    environment:
      PMA_HOST: mysql
      PMA_USER: testuser
      PMA_PASSWORD: password
      PMA_PORT: 3307
      UPLOAD_LIMIT: 300M
    ports:
      - 9091:80

Also, added to my github repo. The git code include has some commented code for CI4.

Related