I've been using a Beaglebone Black for a couple of years now and have always struggled to configure pins. There have been plenty of methods that have changed with kernel updates. As a result lots of information on the internet contradicts other posts and many of them are simply not working anymore.
I've seen pin manager, pin config, overlays, dtbo files loaded in slots, dtbo loaded in uboot and (it seems like) many others.
I can't get P9_41 to work as an output (it has two different "balls" going to it), and don't just want to get this working but would really like to understand what I'm doing (until it breaks again with a newer kernel?) Currently at kernel 4.14.71-ti-r80, but willing to update to newer if I can get everything working again.
Is there something like "a definitive guide on how to configure and control the pins on the current kernel version"?