My System
I am running a neural network training on using Python 3.6.9 with pytorch 1.6.0
I am using a google cloud platform N1 Server with a Tesla T4, 2 cores CPU, 12GB RAM.
This is on an Ubuntu 18.04 image.
Problem
When my code reaches the training line I get the following RuntimeError with no real explanation that I can see:
-- Process 0 terminated with the following error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/or/.local/share/virtualenvs/or-M3_AaJfY/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/multiprocessing/spawn.py", line 20, in _wrap
fn(i, *args)
File "/home/or/my_model/train.py", line 88, in train_and_eval
train(rank, epoch, hps, generator, optimizer_g, train_loader, logger, writer)
File "/home/or/my_model/train.py", line 117, in train
scaled_loss.backward()
File "/home/or/.local/share/virtualenvs/or-M3_AaJfY/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/tensor.py", line 185, in backward
torch.autograd.backward(self, gradient, retain_graph, create_graph)
File "/home/or/.local/share/virtualenvs/or-M3_AaJfY/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/autograd/__init__.py", line 127, in backward
allow_unreachable=True) # allow_unreachable flag
RuntimeError
- This happens while the 2 CPU cores are being used at 100% for a long while.
- The RAM and GPU, though going up (as expected while training) do not reach close to their limit.
- I checked
journalctlto see if this was an operating system issue but there is nothing there. I also did not find anything relevant in the /var/log/ directory or usingdmesg. - I would be happy to provide more log data but I am not aware (after searching) any python logs I can look at, or any other system logs.
Please let me know of ways I can get more information if you have any ideas.
The exact same code works 100% fine on other physical machines I have tested, and a GPU only version of it runs fine on another cloud computing provider
What I am looking for
- Ways to get more information about this problem and figure out why it is happening.
- Ways to fix this problem
Thanks in advance for your time and any help you may be able to provide.