My eclipse just updated to 2020-09 (4.17.0). After manually setting the JVM in the ini from my OracleJDK8 to OpenJDK11 (using this old post), I was able to start it again. However, on startup I get the following error message:
An internal error occurred during: "Initializing Java Tooling".
Unable to find Asm for stackmap generation (Looking for 'aj.org.objectweb.asm.ClassReader'). Stackmap generation for woven code is required to avoid verify errors on a Java 1.7 or higher runtime
when weaving type org.eclipse.jdt.core.search.SearchDocument
when weaving classes
when weaving
When trying to save a file I get a similar error:
Save Failed
Unable to find Asm for stackmap generation (Looking for 'aj.org.objectweb.asm.ClassReader'). Stackmap generation for woven code is required to avoid verify errors on a Java 1.7 or higher runtime
when weaving type org.eclipse.jdt.ui.cleanup.CleanUpContext
when weaving classes
when weaving
when weaving type org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.correction.QuickFixProcessor
when weaving classes
when weaving
Changing the ini to use OpenJDK15 (and setting the two requiredJavaVersion flags accordingly) fixed the tooling error, but I'm still unable to save files. The error message is similar, although the "stack trace" is significantly longer (so long that the error message doesn't fit onto my screen).
This thread discusses a similar problem with a different IDE and suggests downgrading to Java 1.8 which in my case is no longer possible because Eclipse requires at least Java11 now.
Any ideas except downgrading Eclipse again?
EDIT: As it turns out, doing a fresh install with the eclipse installer from their website including their JDK does the job. However, if anybody has an idea what's the problem with using OpenJDK, let me know...