A common construct I've seen in algorithms that contain symmetry is
for (int i = 0; i < n ; i++) {
for (int j = i+1; j < n ; j++) {
[compute x]
objects[i][j] += x;
objects[j][i] -= x;
}
}
that (while still having O(n^2) complexity) reduces the amount of calculations needed by exploiting the symmetry. Could you tell me what's the way to introduce such an optimization in a pyspark code?
For example, I've written code that computes the force per unit of mass acting on each particle in a system per the formula (where r is the position):
N m_j*(r_i - r_j)
F = -G * Σ -----------------
i!=j |r_i - r_j|^3
In it I first do a cross product of my dataframe with itself to get every pairwise interaction, and then aggregate them all by id to get the total force acting on each particle:
def calc_F(df_clust, G=1):
# cartesian product of the dataframe with itself
renameCols = [f"`{col}` as `{col}_other`" for col in df_clust.columns]
df_cart = df_clust.crossJoin(df_clust.selectExpr(renameCols))
df_clust_cartesian = df_cart.filter("id != id_other")
df_F_cartesian = df_clust_cartesian.selectExpr("id", "id_other", "m_other",
"`x` - `x_other` as `diff(x)`",
"`y` - `y_other` as `diff(y)`",
"`z` - `z_other` as `diff(z)`"
)
df_F_cartesian = df_F_cartesian.selectExpr("id", "id_other",
"`diff(x)` * `m_other` as `num(x)`",
"`diff(y)` * `m_other` as `num(y)`",
"`diff(z)` * `m_other` as `num(z)`",
"sqrt(`diff(x)` * `diff(x)` + `diff(y)`"
"* `diff(y)` + `diff(z)` * `diff(z)`) as `denom`",
)
df_F_cartesian = df_F_cartesian.selectExpr("id", "id_other",
"`num(x)` / pow(`denom`, 3) as `Fx`",
"`num(y)` / pow(`denom`, 3) as `Fy`",
"`num(z)` / pow(`denom`, 3) as `Fz`",
)
# squish back to inital particles
sumCols = ["Fx", "Fy", "Fz"]
df_agg = df_F_cartesian.groupBy("id").sum(*sumCols)
renameCols = [f"`sum({col})` as `{col}`" for col in sumCols]
df_F = df_agg.selectExpr("id", *renameCols)
df_F = df_F.selectExpr("id",
f"`Fx` * {-G} as Fx",
f"`Fy` * {-G} as Fy",
f"`Fz` * {-G} as Fz")
return df_F
But I know that the force between two particles is symmetrical - F_ij = -F_ji (I am assuming all masses to be equal) - so here I am computing a number of forces twice, instead of reusing them. So in this particular case I'd want to turn df_clust_cartesian = df_cart.filter("id != id_other") into df_clust_cartesian = df_cart.filter("id < id_other") for example, and somehow reuse these forces when computing the total force in the second part of the function. (Of course ideally I want to learn to do it in general)
Example input for this case would be
a = sc.parallelize([
[0.48593906,-0.52435857,-0.53198230,0.46153894,-0.33775792E-01,-0.32276499,0.15625001E-04,1],
[-0.65960690E-01,0.80844238E-01,-0.27603051,-0.57578009,1.1078150,-0.29340765,0.15625001E-04,2],
[-0.34809157E-01,0.76795481E-01,-0.39087987,-0.55399138,-0.17386098,0.59250806E-01,0.15625001E-04,3]
])
from pyspark.sql.types import *
clust_input = StructType([
StructField('x', DoubleType(), False),
StructField('y', DoubleType(), False),
StructField('z', DoubleType(), False),
StructField('vx', DoubleType(), False),
StructField('vy', DoubleType(), False),
StructField('vz', DoubleType(), False),
StructField('m', DoubleType(), False),
StructField('id', IntegerType(), False)
])
df_clust = a.toDF(schema=clust_input)