Is it possible to automount drive using wsl --mount after restart?

Viewed 2376

I am able to mount my ext4 partition in wsl-2 using the following command in powershell:

wsl --mount \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE4 --partition 1

However when I either restart my computer or run wsl --restart the partition is unmounted and I have to run the above command again. Is there a way of automounting the partition?

Thanks.

2 Answers

After asking around on the wsl github, this option is currently not supported however there is a work around solution which is below for anyone who needs this functionality.

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" /V "Mount PhysicalDrive4" /t REG_SZ /F /D "C:\Windows\System32\wsl.exe --mount \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE4 --partition 1"

Also I forgot to say this functionality is only available for Windows Insiders preview build 20211 and above.

The solution proposed by @dopewind below doesn't work in this case as ext4 mounting in wsl-2 has to happen in powershell (with admin rights) and not in the installed linux distro.

Just add the command to the end of .bashrc file in your home directory in WSL ( or the .zshrc file if you use zsh )

Related