Policy Troubleshooter error: "You do not have permission to view specific group memberships."

Viewed 2828

I'm trying to audit the permissions available to our staff in GCP.

To do this, I'm trying to use gcloud policy-troubleshooter or the GCP Console version of same.

What I'm finding is that I cannot see role assignments that are bound to Groups. On the command line, the response includes an error like MEMBERSHIP_UNKNOWN_INFO_DENIED; the web version is less shouty: "You do not know if principal is in this group or not because you do not have permission to view group membership"

I am the Owner of the the group in question, so I'm unclear why I wouldn't have permissions. I can see group membership in the IAM Groups panel. I also can't figure out what permission I lack; there's no Audit Log entry denying the access.

How can I get access to review these permissions?

1 Answers

After reading the documentation I noticed that there is a known limitation [1] which explains that Policy Troubleshooter can't always fully explain access to a resource. If you don't have access to a policy that applies to a resource, Policy Troubleshooter won't analyze it. So it recommends to ensure that you are granted the Security Reviewer (roles/iam.securityReviewer) role. This will ensure you can read all applicable Cloud IAM policies.

[1] https://cloud.google.com/iam/docs/troubleshooting-access#limitations

Related