communicate with stockfish with python

Viewed 2991

I made a chess game GUI with pygame and now I want to add a computer player that will be stockfish in this case. github repo: https://github.com/Dark-Leader/Chess

sorry I can't show the code here.. it's multiple files. at the moment the game works perfectly for player vs player. have a look at main.py file:

import pygame
from chess.constants import WIDTH, HEIGHT, FPS, BOARD_EDGE
from chess.game import Game
from chess.engine import Engine
pygame.init()
window = pygame.display.set_mode((WIDTH + BOARD_EDGE * 2, HEIGHT + BOARD_EDGE * 2))
pygame.display.set_caption("Chess")
clock = pygame.time.Clock()
game = Game(window)
# engine = Engine()
# engine.get_response()
# engine.put_command("uci")
# engine.get_response()
# engine.put_command('quit')

running = True
while running:
    clock.tick(FPS)
    for event in pygame.event.get():
        if event.type == pygame.QUIT:
            running = False

        if event.type == pygame.MOUSEBUTTONDOWN:
            pos = pygame.mouse.get_pos()
            game.select(pos)

    game.update()
    result = game.get_winner()
    if result:
        print(result)
        running = False
    pygame.display.flip()

pygame.quit()

and this is engine.py:

import subprocess


class Engine:

    def __init__(self):
        self.engine = subprocess.Popen("chess/stockfish.exe", stdin=subprocess.PIPE, stdout=subprocess.PIPE,
                                   universal_newlines=True)

    def put_command(self, command):
        self.engine.stdin.write(command + "\n")

    def get_response(self):
        for line in self.engine.stdout:
            print(line.strip())

have a look at the commented lines. I tried to create the engine instance and communicate with it. but the engine just freezes the program and thus the GUI is frozen. I have looked at these posts too and couldn't solve it: Stockfish and Python

How to Communicate with a Chess engine in Python?

Basically what I want to achieve is, when I give a command to the engine I want to get the response and close it immidiately so the GUI can continue (or if there's a way to run both at the same time with threading / multiprocessing) thanks

0 Answers
Related