I am trying to make a function in R that outputs a data frame in a standard way, but that also allows the user to have the personalized columns that he deams necessary (the goal is to make a data format for paleomagnetic data, for which there are common informations that everybody use, and some more unusual that the user might like to keep in the format).
However, I realized that if the user wants the header of his data to be a prefix of one of the defined arguments of the data formating function (e.g. via the 'sheep' argument, that is a prefix of the 'sheepc' argument, see example below), the function interprets it as the defined argument (through partial name identification, see http://adv-r.had.co.nz/Functions.html#lexical-scoping for more details).
Is there a way to prevent this, or to at least give a warning to the user saying that he cannot use this name ?
PS I realize this question is similar to Disabling partial variable names in subsetting data frames, but I would like to avoid toying with the options of the future users of my function.
fun <- function(sheeta = 1, sheetb = 2, sheepc = 3, ...)
{
# I use the sheeta, sheetb and sheepc arguments for computations
# (more complex than shown below, but here thet are just there to give an example)
a <- sum(sheeta, sheetb)
df1 <- data.frame(standard = rep(a, sheepc))
df2 <- as.data.frame(list(...))
if(nrow(df1) == nrow(df2)){
res <- cbind(df1, df2)
return(res)
} else {
stop("Extra elements should be of length ", sheep)
}
}
fun(ball = rep(1,3))
#> standard ball
#> 1 3 1
#> 2 3 1
#> 3 3 1
fun(sheep = rep(1,3))
#> Error in rep(a, sheepc): argument 'times' incorrect
fun(sheet = rep(1,3))
#> Error in fun(sheet = rep(1, 3)) :
#> argument 1 matches multiple formal arguments