Failed to login when creating DataSet from DataStore using Azure Machine Learning Designer

Viewed 913

I'm new to Azure and its ML Designer. I have an Azure SQL Database set up with my Client IP allowed through the Firewall. I can connect using SSMS without issue using the server path and credentials Azure supplied.

I have set up a Machine Learning Resource and launched the Learning Studio.

Inside the Learning Studio I created a DataStore pointing to my Azure SQL Database and everything seems just fine:

Azure SQL Database DataStore

However, when I try to create a DataSet from that DataStore I am getting Login errors:

Login error when creating DataSet

In "More details" I see the following:

ScriptExecutionException was caused by DatabaseConnectionException.\n DatabaseConnectionException was caused by AuthenticationException.\n 'MSSQl' encountered connection erro with error code '18456' while opening connection to server ([REDACTED]), database ([REDACTED]). Either the database name is not valid or username and password is wrong. Exception class: '14'. HResult: x80131904.\n Failed due to inner exception of type: SqlException\n

I am sure the database name and login credentials are correct i.e. they work just fine when connecting from my SSMS. What else can this be? I've checked the Azure SQL Database profile - is there something here regarding security or access that I should be setting?

Firewall Settings

** UPDATE ** Solved this by going to SQL Server > Active Directory admin. There was nothing set here so I clicked Set Admin and then from the right panel scrolled down to the ML service I had set up. Once I saved it and then created a Dataset in ML I could see the data Preview just fine.

1 Answers

To get a preview of the dataset, it goes through Azure ML's service. If the only kind of restriction are IP restrictions (nothing around vnets/private links), then you can add Azure ML's IP ranges to your network settings.

Alternatively, you can choose to "skip validation" where Microsoft will not parse the data while trying to create the dataset, but this means preview won't be shown.

Furthermore, ensure that you have created a server-level IP firewall rule in the firewall settings and allowed access to the server, entered valid authentication details when creating the datastore, and specified a valid table when querying your database.

Note: I was able to connect successfully using above guidelines. Thanks.

Related