I present a simplified version of my problem. I have venues and timeslots and users and bookings, as shown in the model descriptions below. Time slots are universal for all venues, and users can book into a time slot at a venue up until the venue capacity is reached.
class Venue(models.Model):
name = models.Charfield(max_length=200)
capacity = models.PositiveIntegerField(default=0)
class TimeSlot(models.Model):
start_time = models.TimeField()
end_time = models.TimeField()
class Booking(models.Model):
user = models.ForeignKey(User)
time_slot = models.ForeignKey(TimeSlot)
venue = models.ForeignKey(Venue)
Now I would like to as efficiently as possible get all possible combinations of Venues and TimeSlots and annotate the count of the bookings made for each combination, including the case where the number of bookings is 0.
I have managed to achieve this in raw SQL using a cross join on the Venue and TimeSlot tables. Something to the effect of the below. However despite exhaustive searching have not been able to find a django equivalent.
SELECT venue.name, timeslot.start_time, timeslot.end_time, count(booking.id)
FROM myapp_venue as venue
CROSS JOIN myapp_timeslot as timeslot
LEFT JOIN myapp_booking as booking on booking.time_slot_id = timeslot.id
GROUP BY venue.name, timeslot.start_time, timeslot.end_time
I'm also able to annotate the query to retrieve the count of bookings for which bookings for that combination do exist. But those combinations with 0 bookings get excluded. Example:
qs = Booking.objects.all().values(
venue=F('venue__name'),
start_time=F('time_slot__start_time'),
end_time=F('time_slot__end_time')
).annotate(bookings=Count('id')) \
.order_by('venue', 'start_time', 'end_time')
How can I achieve the effect of the CROSS JOIN query using the django ORM?