I've got a mature wcf application currently packaged with wix that generates an msi. When the msi is installed on a user's pc (using the wix /msi gui or using msiexec automated with powershell remoting) they pass in parameters such as the URL of the application's back end web service that are saved to the app's app.config file.
I'm looking to replace the wix installer process with MSIX. The main benefit to me of this switch will be that the users can install the app themselves from a web server URL, rather than having to faff with downloading and running an MSI.
To achieve a simple click and install process and be able to stage my MSIX in different customer environments I need some way to set my app's back end URL per environment when I stage the app. Given the MSIX is a self container package where all it's files are hashed and signed to ensure it's not tampered with, is there a way for me to ship a different URL when I stage the app without having to repackage the app whenever I stage it?
For context the app is a product that we customise for a lot of customers so internally we have a lot of environments we are constantly deploying to with automated tools so I want to avoid having to repackage dynamically when I'm setting up a new environment.
I basically want to ship config with, but not inside the msix.