I have seen a lot of similar questions on here, but they seem to assume that the creation of the web service is being tested. I need to be able to connect to an existing web service that I did not create, that is already in use and being used by a lot of systems. This service works, and I'm able to enter the URL in the browser, it returns the XML as it should. When I try to add a web reference (right-clicking 'references', selecting add service reference, then clicking 'Advanced' - I put the URL for the service in the URL box and click the arrow. It previews the XML in the box, and it looks great. However, in the section that says Web Services found at this URL, it shows the error:
"The document at the url http://xxx:8090/a/b/list (actual server address removed for now) was not recognized as a known document type."
The box to add a web reference name and the add reference buttons are both grayed out. How can I get this reference added so I can write an app that browses this service and others (this is the simplest of the ones I need to work with)?