So I am working with different deep learning frameworks as part of my research and have observed something weird (at least I cannot explain the cause of it).
I trained a fairly simple MLP model (on mnist dataset) in Tensorflow, extracted trained weights, created the same model architecture in PyTorch and applied the trained weights to PyTorch model. Now my expectation is to get same test accuracy from both Tensorflow and PyTorch models but this isn't the case. I get different results.
So my question is: If a model is trained to some optimal value, shouldn't the trained weights produce same results every time testing is done on the same dataset (regardless of the framework used)?
PyTorch Model:
class Net(nn.Module):
def __init__(self) -> None:
super(Net, self).__init__()
self.fc1 = nn.Linear(784, 24)
self.fc2 = nn.Linear(24, 10)
def forward(self, x: Tensor) -> Tensor:
x = torch.flatten(x, 1)
x = F.relu(self.fc1(x))
x = self.fc2(x)
return x
Tensorflow Model:
def build_model() -> tf.keras.Model:
# Build model layers
model = models.Sequential()
# Flatten Layer
model.add(layers.Flatten(input_shape=(28,28)))
# Fully connected layer
model.add(layers.Dense(24, activation='relu'))
model.add(layers.Dense(10))
# compile the model
model.compile(
optimizer='sgd',
loss=tf.keras.losses.SparseCategoricalCrossentropy(from_logits=True),
metrics=['accuracy']
)
# return newly built model
return model
To extract weights from Tensorflow model and apply them to Pytorch model I use following functions:
Extract Weights:
def get_weights(model):
# fetch latest weights
weights = model.get_weights()
# transpose weights
t_weights = []
for w in weights:
t_weights.append(np.transpose(w))
# return
return t_weights
Apply Weights:
def set_weights(model, weights):
"""Set model weights from a list of NumPy ndarrays."""
state_dict = OrderedDict(
{k: torch.Tensor(v) for k, v in zip(model.state_dict().keys(), weights)}
)
self.load_state_dict(state_dict, strict=True)