This question is a follow-up to What makefile lazy evaluation rule governs this behavior?. I'm still trying to grok some of the rules of gnu make's lazy evaluation.
I want to have a make variable for the content of a directory after that directory has been updated by a recipe.
This Makefile demonstrates that $(A_FILE) is evaluated to find the created file when it's in the "parent" of the recipe that actually creates the file:
A_FILE = $(wildcard subdir/*)
all: a
@echo $(A_FILE)
a:
@mkdir ./subdir
@touch subdir/b
$ rm -rf ./subdir/ && make
subdir/b
$
But the following Makefile has a seemingly trivial change: $(A_FILE) is referenced in the recipe where its containing directory is updated - but now the variable is empty:
A_FILE = $(wildcard subdir/*)
all: a
@echo $(A_FILE)
a:
@mkdir ./subdir
@touch subdir/b
@sleep 1
@echo $(A_FILE)
$ rm -rf ./subdir/ && make
$
I added the sleep to rule out timing issues of the directory being trawled too quickly after it had been updated.
What gives? Why does $(A_FILE) get evaluated against the updated subdir content if it's referenced in the higher-layer recipe but not in the lower-layer recipe where it's actually updated?