I'm an absolute beginner in AWS and have been practising for 3 months from now.
Recently I was working on S3 and playing a bit with S3 object lock. So I enabled S3 object lock for a specific object with governance mode along with legal hold. Now when I tried to overwrite the object with the same file using the following CLI command:
aws s3 cp /Users/John/Desktop/112133.jpg s3://my-buck/112133.jpg
It succeeded interestingly and I checked in the console that the new file is uploaded with Latest Version on it. Now I read this in AWS docs that:
Bypassing governance mode doesn't affect an object version's legal hold status. If an object version has a legal hold enabled, the legal hold remains in force and prevents requests to overwrite or delete the object version.
Now my question is how it get overwritten if this CLI command is used to overwrite a file? I tried also in the console to re uplaod the same file but it also worked.
Moreover I uploaded another file and enabled ojbect lock with compliance mode and it also get overwritten. But deletion doesn't work for both cases as expected.
Did I understand something wrong about the whole S3 ojbect lock thing? Any help will be appreciated.
