Build failed with 500, please run 'jupyter lab build' on the server for full output in Jupyter lab

Viewed 9896

I am trying to add an extension in the jupyter lab. I go to extensions tab and click "install" on the extension. After a few seconds i get a pop up saying Build failed with 500, please run 'jupyter lab build' on the server for full output

here is the screenshot of it

could anyone tell me how to resolve it or find the logs related to that error atleast.

2 Answers

Using terminal, try jupyter lab build, which will produce an output on your AppData\Local\Temp folder (if you are on Windows). The log file will give more info on what is causing the failure during the build.

I had the same issue and npm dependencies were the culprit. I have updated conda with conda update -n base -c defaults conda and and yarn with conda install yarn and it solved the issue for me.

Also try looking at this one Jupyter Labs: “RuntimeError: npm dependencies failed to install” When Building.

For me this was fixed by pinning down a lower version of nodejs. conda install -c conda-forge 'nodejs<16.14' did the trick. My resolution steps:

  1. Install an environment from scratch conda create -c conda-forge -n <your_env_name> 'python>=3.8,<3.11' 'jupyterlab>=3.10'
  2. Then attempt a nodejs install for example conda install -c conda-forge 'nodejs<16.14'
  3. Attempt to build with jupyter lab build in terminal.

It's currently May 2022. Please note versions change a lot and very fast, when you face this same issue :)

Related