No template sub-directory with name 'lab' found in the following paths

Viewed 10983

I am running a python azure function which is running a jupyter notebook via the nbconvert API. This was working for a time, although without deploying new code I have started to get the following error:

No template sub-directory with name 'lab' found in the following paths:
    /home/.local/share/jupyter
    /usr/local/share/jupyter
    /usr/share/jupyter

The code I am using to achieve this is:

from nbconvert.preprocessors import ExecutePreprocessor
from nbconvert import HTMLExporter

...

dl = DictLoader({'footer':
"""
{%- extends 'full.tpl' -%}

{% block input_group %}
    {%- if cell.metadata.get('nbconvert', {}).get('show_code', False) -%}
        ((( super() )))
    {%- endif -%}
{% endblock input_group %}
{% block output_group %}
    <style> .output_prompt{visibility:hidden;}</style>
    {{ super() }}
{% endblock output_group %}
"""})

...

html_exporter = HTMLExporter(extra_loaders=[dl], template_file='footer')
html_exporter.template_name = 'classic'
with open(JUPYTER_DIR + NOTEBOOK_NAME) as f:
    nb = nbformat.read(f, as_version=4)

ep = ExecutePreprocessor(timeout=600, kernel_name='python')
ep.preprocess(nb, {'metadata': {'path': JUPYTER_DIR}})
(body, resources) = html_exporter.from_notebook_node(nb)

The functionapp is running the following:

python3.6
nbconvert6.0.3
jupyter-lab0.1.1

I have tried googling the error, the closest thing I have found so far is this which is similar but unanswered and not completely the same. Thought I'd post here to see if anyone knows how to resolve or for me to update if I manage to resolve the issue.

I am quite confused as lab is not a keyword I am familiar with (outside of maybe jupyterlab) and isn't being used within the code.

As for the paths mentioned:

  • home/.local/share/jupyter/ exists and contains nbconvert/templates/html
  • usr/local/share/jupyter & usr/share/jupyter don't exist

Thanks in advance for any help!

8 Answers

For me, uninstalling and installing nbconvert using:

pip uninstall nbconvert
pip install nbconvert

fixed this error.

I had the same issue after upgrading nbconvert to 6.0.8.

Rolling back to nbconvert 5.6.1 solved the problem for me.

pip uninstall nbconvert
pip install nbconvert==5.6.1

pip install -U nbconvert installs .../site-packages/share/jupyter/nbconvert/templates/
but jupyter nbconvert my.ipynb --to python doesn't look there --

# ValueError: No template sub-directory with name 'base' found in the following paths:

/Users/myuserid/Library/Jupyter  # mac
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/share/jupyter
/usr/local/share/jupyter
/usr/share/jupyter

Make a symbolic link in one of these to .../site-packages/.../templates, e.g.

cd $HOME/Library/Jupyter/nbconvert  # mac, other platforms dunno
mv templates templates-tmp  # empty
ln -s .../site-packages/share/jupyter/nbconvert/templates .
ls templates/
# asciidoc/  classic/      html/  latex/     python/  rst/
# base/    compatibility/  lab/   markdown/  reveal/  script/

On Mac, very similar to @denis solution, just the locations are diffferent:

cd /opt/homebrew/opt/python@3.9/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/share/jupyter/nbconvert/
mv templates templates-tmp
ln -s /opt/homebrew/share/jupyter/nbconvert/templates

On Mac, if you installed jupyter using pip3 on user mode

ln -s ~/Library/Python/3.8/share/jupyter/nbconvert ~/Library/Jupyter/nbconvert

Just replace the 3.8 with the approriate version

Depending on your installation locations you might want to adjust "path" and "target" variables below. In my case (Windows 10 with python installed from the Microsoft store and jupyter via pip) the following resolved the issue with jupyter not finding nbconvert. You will need to use elevated power shell (PS) to create link in APPDATA

PS > $path=$env:APPDATA+"\jupyter\nbconvert"
PS > $target=$env:LOCALAPPDATA+"\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.9_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\share\jupyter\nbconvert"
PS > New-Item -ItemType SymbolicLink -path "$path" -target "$target"

This should create link in appropriate location

I'm getting the same exact error. I am assuming the default/built in templates were just installed during anaconda installation. I think we have to look at older versions of jupyter notebook / nbconvert / anaconda and just copy and paste the template files.

Related