We have a requirement to monitor and try to restart our gUnicorn/Django app if it goes down. We're using gunicorn 20.0.4.
I have the following nrs.service running fine with systemd. I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to integrate systemd's watchdog capabilities with gUnicorn. Looking through the source I don't see anywhere a sd_notify("WATCHDOG=1") is being called so I'm thinking that no, gunicorn doesn't know how to keep systemd aware that it's up (it calls sd_notify("READY=1...") at startup but in its run loop there's no signal being sent saying it's still running)
Here's the nrs.service file. I have commented out the watchdog vars because it obviously sends my service into a failed state shortly after it starts.
[Unit]
Description=Gunicorn instance to serve NRS project
After=network.target
[Service]
WorkingDirectory=/etc/nrs
Environment="PATH=/etc/nrs/bin"
ExecStart=/etc/nrs/bin/gunicorn --error-logfile /etc/nrs/logs/gunicorn_error.log --certfile=/etc/httpd/https_certificate/nrs.cer --keyfile=/etc/httpd/https_certificate/server.key --access-logfile /etc/nrs/logs/gunicorn_access.log --capture-output --bind=nrshost:8800 anomalyalerts.wsgi
#WatchdogSec=15s
#Restart=on-failure
#StartLimitInterval=1min
#StartLimitBurst=4
[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
So systemd watchdog is doing its thing, just looks like out of the box gunicorn doesn't support it. Not very familiar with 'monkey-patching' but I'm thinking if we want to use this method of monitoring, I'm going to have to implement some custom code? Other thought was just to have a watch command check the service and try to restart it, which might be easier.
Thanks Jason