Runtime.ImportModuleError: Unable to import module 'lambda_function': No module named 'httplib2'

Viewed 5392

I am have installed all these libs:

google-api-core 1.22.1
google-api-python-client 1.10.0
google-auth 1.20.1
google-auth-httplib2 0.0.4
google-auth-oauthlib 0.4.1
google-cloud 0.34.0
google-cloud-core 1.4.1
google-cloud-storage 1.31.0
google-crc32c 1.0.0
google-resumable-media 1.0.0
googleapis-common-protos 1.52.0
httplib2 0.18.1

to a folder --> zipped it --> uploaded to AWS lambda's layers. However, I keep on getting [ERROR] Runtime.ImportModuleError: Unable to import module 'lambda_function': No module named 'httplib2' even thought when I run my pyhon file locally with such libs being in the enviroment I don't get any error after calling import httplib2. Note: every other libs works on lambda so my uploading process should be correct.

1 Answers

You can create a Lambda custom layer with your packages.

To check this solution I created such a layer and can confirm that it works.

The technique used includes docker tool described in the recent AWS blog:

Thus for this question, I verified it as follows:

  1. Create empty folder, e.g. mylayer.

  2. Go to the folder and create requirements.txt file with the content of

google-api-core==1.22.1
google-api-python-client==1.10.0
google-auth==1.20.1
google-auth-httplib2==0.0.4
google-auth-oauthlib==0.4.1
google-cloud==0.34.0
google-cloud-core==1.4.1
google-cloud-storage==1.31.0
google-crc32c==1.0.0
google-resumable-media==1.0.0
googleapis-common-protos==1.52.0
httplib2==0.18.1
  1. Run the following docker command:
docker run -v "$PWD":/var/task "lambci/lambda:build-python3.8" /bin/sh -c "pip install -r requirements.txt -t python/lib/python3.8/site-packages/; exit"
  1. Create layer as zip:
zip -r -9 mylayer.zip python 
  1. Create lambda layer based on mylayer.zip in the AWS Console. Don't forget to specify Compatible runtimes to python3.8.

  2. Test the layer in lambda using the following lambda function:

import httplib2

def lambda_handler(event, context):
    # TODO implement
    print(dir(httplib2))
    return 

The function executes correctly:

['AUTH_SCHEME_CLASSES', 'AUTH_SCHEME_ORDER', 'AllHosts', 'Authentication', 'BasicAuthentication', 'CA_CERTS', 'Credentials', 'DEFAULT_MAX_REDIRECTS', 'DEFAULT_TLS_VERSION', 'DigestAuthentication', 'FailedToDecompressContent', 'FileCache', 'GoogleLoginAuthentication', 'HOP_BY_HOP', 'HTTPConnectionWithTimeout', 'HTTPSConnectionWithTimeout', 'HmacDigestAuthentication', 'Http', 'HttpLib2Error', 'HttpLib2ErrorWithResponse', 'KeyCerts', 'MalformedHeader', 'NORMALIZE_SPACE', 'ProxiesUnavailableError', 'ProxyInfo', 'REDIRECT_CODES', 'RETRIES', 'RedirectLimit', 'RedirectMissingLocation', 'RelativeURIError', 'Response', 'SAFE_METHODS', 'SCHEME_TO_CONNECTION', 'ServerNotFoundError', 'UNQUOTE_PAIRS', 'URI', 'USE_WWW_AUTH_STRICT_PARSING', 'UnimplementedDigestAuthOptionError', 'UnimplementedHmacDigestAuthOptionError', 'WWW_AUTH_RELAXED', 'WWW_AUTH_STRICT', 'WsseAuthentication', '_', '__all__', '__author__', '__builtins__', '__cached__', '__contributors__', '__copyright__', '__doc__', '__file__', '__license__', '__loader__', '__name__', '__package__', '__path__', '__spec__', '__version__', '_bind_write_headers', '_build_ssl_context', '_cnonce', '_convert_byte_str', '_decompressContent', '_entry_disposition', '_get_end2end_headers', '_md5', '_normalize_headers', '_parse_cache_control', '_parse_www_authenticate', '_sha', '_updateCache', '_wsse_username_token', 'base64', 'calendar', 'certs', 'copy', 'debuglevel', 'email', 'errno', 'gzip', 'has_timeout', 'header', 'hmac', 'http', 'io', 'iri2uri', 'os', 'parse_uri', 'proxy_info_from_environment', 'proxy_info_from_url', 'random', 're', 're_unsafe', 're_url_scheme', 'safename', 'socket', 'socks', 'ssl', 'sys', 'time', 'urllib', 'urlnorm', 'zlib']
Related