I was working with CameraX and faced the same issue. I followed the excellent answer given by @Husayn Hakeen. However, my app needs the previewView to match the device height width precisely. So I made some changes. In kotlin ( or java), I added
Preview preview = new Preview.Builder()
.setTargetAspectRatio(AspectRatio.RATIO_16_9)
.build();
ImageCapture imageCapture = new ImageCapture.Builder()
.setTargetAspectRatio(AspectRatio.RATIO_16_9)
.build();
And my xml has:
<androidx.camera.view.PreviewView
android:id="@+id/viewFinder"
android:layout_width="0dp"
android:layout_height="0dp"
app:layout_constraintBottom_toBottomOf="parent"
app:layout_constraintEnd_toEndOf="parent"
app:layout_constraintStart_toStartOf="parent"
app:layout_constraintTop_toTopOf="parent"
tools:background="@color/colorLight"
/>
From kotlin, I measured the device actual height and width in pixel:
val metrics: DisplayMetrics = DisplayMetrics().also { viewFinder.display.getRealMetrics(it) }
val deviceWidthPx = metrics.widthPixels
val deviceHeightPx = metrics.heightPixels
Using these data, I used some basic coordinate geometry to draw some lines on the captured photo:

As you can see, the yellow rectangle indicate the device preview, so this is what you see on the preview. I had a requirement to perform a center crop, that's why I drew the blue square.
After that, I cropped the preview:
@JvmStatic
fun cropPreviewBitmap(previewBitmap: Bitmap, deviceWidthPx: Int, deviceHeightPx: Int): Bitmap {
// crop the image
var cropHeightPx = 0f
var cropWidthPx = 0f
if(deviceHeightPx > deviceWidthPx) {
cropHeightPx = 1.0f *previewBitmap.height
cropWidthPx = 1.0f * deviceWidthPx / deviceHeightPx * cropHeightPx
}else {
cropWidthPx = 1.0f *previewBitmap.width
cropHeightPx = 1.0f * deviceHeightPx / deviceWidthPx * cropWidthPx
}
val cx = previewBitmap.width / 2
val cy = previewBitmap.height / 2
val minimusPx = Math.min(cropHeightPx, cropWidthPx)
val left2 = cx - minimusPx / 2
val top2 = cy - minimusPx /2
val croppedBitmap = Bitmap.createBitmap(previewBitmap, left2.toInt(), top2.toInt(), minimusPx.toInt(), minimusPx.toInt())
return croppedBitmap
}
This worked for me.