I'm using a tf.data dataset containing my training data consisting of (lets say) 100k images.
I'm also using a tf.data dataset containing my validation set.
Since an epoch of all 100k images takes quite long (in my case approximately one hour) before I get any feedback on performance on the validation set, I set the steps_per_epoch parameter in tf.keras.Model fit() to 10000.
Using a batch size of 1 this results into having 10 validation scores when reaching 100k of images.
In order to complete one epoch of 100k images of my entire training dataset, I set the epochs parameter to 10
However, I'm not sure if using steps_per_epoch and epochs this way has any other consequences. Is it correct to use these parameters in order to get more frequent feedback on performance?
And also a more specific question, does it use all 100k images or does it use the same first 10k images of my training set at every 'epoch'?
I already dug into the TensorFlow docs and read several different stack overflow questions, but I couldn't find anything conclusive to answer my own question. Hope you can help!
Tensorflow version I'm using is 2.2.0.