I have a problem with users trying to register on my application (which is a Flask app deployed on Pythonanywhere with MongoDB Atlas).
Basically when they register they receive an email with a token that they need to click on to confirm. When they click on that link they should enter the application, but instead they receive an error.
When I check the error log, this is what I see (under "/auth/register") when it calls:
existing_user = User.get_by_email(session["email"])
return super(SecureCookieSession, self).__getitem__(key)
Exception KeyError: 'email' was thrown out.
It seems that somehow the session["email"] does not work?
This is my code:
@app.route('/confirm/<token>')
def confirm_email(token):
try:
email = ts.loads(token, salt="email-confirm-key", max_age=7200)
except:
return render_template("token_expired.html")
user = Database.find_one(collection="users", query={"email": email})
return redirect(url_for("register_user"))
@app.route("/auth/register", methods=["GET", "POST"])
def register_user():
existing_user = User.get_by_email(session["email"])
if existing_user is None:
email = session["email"].lower() # our website is making a request to our app
username = session["username"]
companyname = session["companyname"].lower()
password = session["password"].encode("utf-8")
hashed_password = bcrypt.hashpw(password, bcrypt.gensalt())
User.register(email, username, companyname, hashed_password)
session["companyname"] = companyname
excisting_company = Database.find_one(collection="companies", query={"email": session["email"]})
if excisting_company is None:
new_company = NewCompany(session["companyname"], session["email"])
new_company.company_save_to_mongo()
else:
return "A company has already been registered under your email address"
else:
return render_template("email_already_exists.html")
return redirect(url_for("user_results"))
@classmethod
def get_by_email(cls, email):
find_email = Database.find_one(collection="users", query={"email": email})
if find_email is not None:
return cls(email=find_email["email"], username=find_email["username"],
companyname=find_email["companyname"], hashed_password=find_email["password"],
date=find_email["date"], _id=find_email["_id"])
I cant seem to figure out why, as when I register myself it works just fine.
Your help would be greatly appreciated here, many thanks in advance.
UPDATE:
Here is where I set the session["email"]:
@app.route("/email_confirmation", methods=["GET", "POST"])
def confirmation():
email = request.form["email"].lower()
companyname = request.form["companyname"].lower()
password = request.form["password"]
username = request.form["username"]
session["password"] = password
session["email"] = email
session["companyname"] = companyname
session["username"] = username
existing_user = User.get_by_email(email)
if existing_user is None:
msg = Message("Confirm your email", sender=("hello@weliketalent.com"),
recipients=[email])
token = ts.dumps(email, salt="email-confirm-key")
confirm_url = url_for("confirm_email", token=token, _external=True)
msg.html = render_template("email/activate.html", confirm_url=confirm_url)
mail.send(msg)