I purchased a domain with Google and I would like to associate it with a Heroku app. What is the step-by-step process to achieve that?
I purchased a domain with Google and I would like to associate it with a Heroku app. What is the step-by-step process to achieve that?
I recently connected my app to a custom domain. Although my domain is purchased from AWS route53. I think the approach generally is the same.
First of all, you can check out this page written by Heroku. https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/custom-domains
I believe the tutorial given by Heroku works. However, I am tired of all those CLI that make things unvisable XD. Luckily, we can configure it from the Heroku website instead of the CLI.
Here is my approach:
It is really simple if you follow these steps correctly. Due to my reputation level, I cannot upload photos. Feel free to contact me if you want some image to guide you how to locate the buttons :)
Just to add to Fergus's answer, if you are seeing the warning "cant add cname records as root domain" add www to the host name input.
It’s only 3 steps:
1. Heroku, in your app > Settings > Add your domain:
2.Google Domains > DNS > Resource records > Custom Records > Manage Custom Records:
Now you’re basically set up. If someone goes to https://www.[foo.com] in a few minutes, they’ll see your Heroku app hosted at [DNS Target]. But if they go to any other permutation (http, non-www) they’ll get a 404 error. To solve this, we’ll set up permanent redirects to the main version in the next step.
Boom. Wait a couple of minutes for DNS to catch up, and you’re done.
heroku certs:auto:refresh
In Terminal refresh the SSL cert settings on Heroku, and check the Heroku Dashboard to confirm everything’s working.
Confirm all the below permutations forward to your site correctly:
https:
http:
paths:
PS: So does this work for the naked domain like [foo.com] instead of www.[foo.com]? No! Google Domains does not support ALIAS domains, and therefore in combination with Heroku does not support forwarding to the naked (aka. root aka. apex) domain. Sorry! This surprised me too :( Source 1: Heroku Docs | Source 2: StackOverflow. Your only alternative here is to transfer your domain (which costs money) to something like Cloudflare.
A working answer with these explanations is taken from https://nikodunk.com/heroku-ssl-google-domains-2019/