Given a 4D array that represents a discrete coordinate transformation function such that
arr[x_in, y_in, z_in] = [x_out, y_out, z_out]
I would like to interpolate arr to a grid with more elements (assuming that the samples in arr were initially drawn from a regularly spaced grid of the higher-element cube).
I have tried the RegularGridInterpolator from scipy, however this has been rather slow:
import numpy as np
from scipy.interpolate import RegularGridInterpolator
from time import time
target_size = 32
reduced_size = 5
small_shape = (reduced_size,reduced_size,reduced_size,3)
cube_small = np.random.randint(target_size, size=small_shape, dtype=np.uint8)
igrid = 3*[np.linspace(0, target_size-1, reduced_size)]
large_shape = (target_size, target_size, target_size,3)
cube_large = np.empty(large_shape)
t0 = time()
interpol = RegularGridInterpolator(igrid, cube_small)
for x in np.arange(target_size):
for y in np.arange(target_size):
for z in np.arange(target_size):
cube_large[x,y,z] = interpol([x,y,z])
print(time()-t0)
Are there any algorithms that come to mind that would be better suited for the task? Maybe there is something that could exploit the fact that in this case, I am only interested in the discrete integer values at each point.