I was using Windows as OS and RStudio for windows, switched to Ubuntu today and installed R and RStudio again. When I try to install some packages from CRAN (only tidyverse !) using install.packages(), I see something something on console I have never seen on Windows, it looks like this;
* installing *source* package ‘data.table’ ...
** package ‘data.table’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
** using staged installation
gcc -std=gnu99 9.3.0
zlib 1.2.11 is available ok
OpenMP supported
** libs
gcc -std=gnu99 -I"/usr/share/R/include" -DNDEBUG -fopenmp -fpic -g -O2 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/r-base-5iUtQS/r-base-4.0.2=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -g -c assign.c -o assign.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -I"/usr/share/R/include" -DNDEBUG -fopenmp -fpic -g -O2 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/r-base-5iUtQS/r-base-4.0.2=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -g -c between.c -o between.o
...
then it continues like this and installing process is taking much longer than the time I encountered on Windows. (tidyverse which includes about seven packages took 30 minutes)
Is this normal ? if it is not, how can I solve it ?