I am trying to store the special escape character \ in R as part of a string.
x = "abcd\efg"
# Error: '\e' is an unrecognized escape in character string starting ""abcd\e"
x = "abcd\\efg"
# Works
The problem is that x is actually a password that I am passing as part of an API web call so I need to find a way for the string to store a literal single slash in order for this to work.
Example using the ignoring literal command:
> x = r"(abcd\efg)"
> y = "https://url?password="
> paste(x, y, sep = "")
[1] "abcd\\efg123"
> # What I need is for it to return
[1] "abcd\efg123"
> z = paste(y, x, sep = "")
> z
[1] "https://url?password=abcd\\efg"
> cat(z)
https://url?password=abcd\efg
When I pass z as part of the API command I get "bad credentials" message because it's sending \\ as part of the string. cat returns it to the console correctly, but it appears to not be sending it the same way it's printing it back.