A package I'm depending on lists versions like 4.0.4 but also 0.9-7 and even 0.9-7.1. (cf. here).
What does the hyphen (-) mean in package versioning? How is version comparison performed against it? I couldn't find any docs on this.
A package I'm depending on lists versions like 4.0.4 but also 0.9-7 and even 0.9-7.1. (cf. here).
What does the hyphen (-) mean in package versioning? How is version comparison performed against it? I couldn't find any docs on this.
What does the hyphen (-) mean in package versioning?
The hyphen is mentioned in ?numeric_version:
"Numeric versions are sequences of one or more non-negative integers, usually (e.g., in package '
DESCRIPTION' files) represented as character strings with the elements of the sequence concatenated and separated by single.or-characters. R package versions consist of at least two such integers."
Here, no distinction is made between the period . and the hyphen -. However, as noted by Hadley & Brian in R Packages; Package metadata - Version:
I don’t recommend taking full advantage of R’s flexibility. Instead always use
.to separate version numbers.
They refer to Semantic Versioning, where the use of hyphen is described:
A pre-release version MAY be denoted by appending a hyphen and a series of dot separated identifiers immediately following the patch version.
How is version comparison performed against it?
For version comparison, see r check if package version is greater than x.y.z and R Packages; Package metadata - Version.