Enabling the virtualization feature in the virtual machine in Google Cloud

Viewed 389

I set up a new virtual machine in the Google cloud. I also need to run Vmware Workstation in the virtual machine. But I could not find where to turn on the virtualization feature. I also could not access the BIOS.enter image description here

2 Answers

Unfortunately, it's not possible to run ESX hypervisor on top of GCE VM instance. Have a look at the documentation Enabling nested virtualization for VM instances:

Nested virtualization adds support for Intel VT-x processor virtualization instructions to Compute Engine VMs. Using nested virtualization, you start a VM instance as normal on Compute Engine and then install a KVM-compatible hypervisor on the VM instance so you can run another VM instance on top of that hypervisor. You can use nested virtualization on any Linux VM instance running on a Haswell or newer platform. For other constraints, see the sub-section, restrictions for nested virtualization.

and at the Restrictions section:

  • Nested virtualization is supported only for KVM-based hypervisors running on Linux instances. Hyper-V, ESX, and Xen hypervisors are not supported.

To solve your issue you can use Google Cloud VMware Engine:

Run your workloads in a native VMware environment—vSphere, vCenter, vSAN, NSX-T, and HCX—while benefiting from Google Cloud’s highly performant infrastructure to meet the needs of your enterprise workloads.

I think you might looking for Google Cloud VMware Engine. using this GCP product you can move your VMware workload to GCP infra and will able to run your Workstation on it.

Related