I have access to a depth camera's output. I want to visualise this in opengl using a compute shader.
The depth feed is given as a frame and i know the width and height ahead of time. How do I sample the texture and retrieve the depth value in the shader? Is this possible? I've read through the OpenGl types here and can't find anything on unsigned shorts so am starting to worry. Are there any workarounds?
My current compute shader
#version 430
layout(local_size_x = 1, local_size_y = 1) in;
layout(rgba32f, binding = 0) uniform image2D img_output;
uniform float width;
uniform float height;
uniform sampler2D depth_feed;
void main() {
// get index in global work group i.e x,y position
vec2 sample_coords = ivec2(gl_GlobalInvocationID.xy) / vec2(width, height);
float visibility = texture(depth_feed, sample_coords).r;
vec4 pixel = vec4(1.0, 1.0, 0.0, visibility);
// output to a specific pixel in the image
imageStore(img_output, ivec2(gl_GlobalInvocationID.xy), pixel);
}
The depth texture definition is as follows:
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT16, width, height, 0,GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT, GL_UNSIGNED_SHORT, nullptr);
Currently my code produces a plain yellow screen.