Is there a way to make a PR but have the repo private in my github account?

Viewed 5661

I want to contribute to a public repo with a pull request.

I can't seem to find a workaround for it, when I fork the public repo it shows up in my account as well.

However, I don't want that repo to be seen in my github account.

I'm new here, sorry if the question is not clear enough. Please ask if anything is not clear.

2 Answers

To issue a PR on a public repository your fork must also be public. The repo you are issuing the pull request to must be able to access and view your fork. The PR will be public. If accepted, your commits will appear in the public repository.

However, I don't want that repo to be seen in my github account.

Since your fork must be public, the question is why do you not want the fork to be seen on your account? There's probably a better way to accomplish your unstated goal.

Depending on why, I can think of a few work arounds.

  1. Delete your fork after the PR is accepted. This is the simplest thing to do.
  2. Make another Github account with a different email address just for this PR.

Note that in both cases, the PR and your commits will still be visible in the repo you contributed to.

Simple answer: No.
Github does not allow you to do that.
For more information, you can go to Settings of your repo, you will check that it is mentioned clearly inside Danger Zone area.

You cannot change the visibility of a fork. Please duplicate the repository.

enter image description here

Related