I am writing an API in Flask and in some point I send email to users who register. I store variables concerning this email service in .env file. Now want to test a piece where I use these variables, but I have no idea how to load them from the .env file.
I tried basically all the answers here https://rb.gy/0nro1a, monkey patching setenv as show here https://rb.gy/kd07wa + other tips here and there. Each failed on some point. I also tried using pytest-dotenv. pytest-env, pytest.ini etc..but nothing really worked as expected, and it is all pretty confusing to me.
My pytests fixture looks like this
@pytest.fixture(autouse=True)
def test_client_db():
# set up
app.config["SQLALCHEMY_DATABASE_URI"] = "sqlite:///"
app.config["JWT_SECRET_KEY"] = "testing"
with app.app_context():
db.init_app(app)
db.create_all()
testing_client = app.test_client()
ctx = app.app_context()
ctx.push()
# do testing
yield testing_client
# tear down
with app.app_context():
db.session.remove()
db.drop_all()
ctx.pop()
I am wondering why I cant just simply load the .env file with a line like this load_dotenv(path/to/.env) somewhere in the set up of the fixture and be done?
Can someone explain to me as a newbie how to read the .env variables in a simple straightforward way to work with pytest?
The only way that actually works for me is to pass the environment variables on the command line as I run the tests.
FROM_EMAIL="some@email.com" MAILGUN_DOMAIN="sandbox6420919ab29b4228sdfda9d43ff37f7689072.mailgun.org" MAILGUN_API_KEY="245d6d0asldlasdkjfc380fba7fbskfsj1ad3125649esadbf2-7cd1ac2b-47fb3ac2" pytest tests
But this is a terrible way and I don't want to write all these var into the command line every time I run tests.
I just want to write pytest test, the .env file should be loaded somewhere automatically I believe. But where and how?
Any help appreciated.