Configuring wildcard record on AWS route 53

Viewed 2083

I have a domain registered with Google Domains and using AWS Route 53 as NS. This domain has several sub domains (some for our applications, and some for our public site)

*.dev.mydomain.com ('A' record pointing to a cloudfront for our development application) works great, *.app.mydomain.com ('A' record pointing to a cloudfront for our live application) works great

www.mydomain.com ('A' record pointing to an IP address on Bluehost which hosts our Wordpress website) works great

The one I can't figure out is how to get mydomain.com (without any subdomain) to point to the same Bluehost wordpress site as www. I configured:

*.mydomain.com ('A' record pointing to the same bluehost IP)

But what I get is:

This site can’t be reached
mydomain.com’s server IP address could not be found. DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

1 Answers

Assuming that your pubic hosted zone is for mydomain.com you simply create the record without the subdomain part.

By using *.mydomain.com it will simply resolve any single level subdomain that does not have an explicit record to resolve to the bluehost IP.

If you're using the console if you do not enter any value in the domain entry box you will default to creating a record for the apex/root domain record.

Steps

Click create record, you will then be presented with some options. Click "Define Simple Record", then fill in the details similar to the below. You should notice nothing filled in for the domain.

enter image description here

Click "Define Simple Record", then click "Create Records". You should now have your root domain records created.

Related