I'm having troubles getting a basic Traefik routing setup to work.
My goal is to get basic routing with two helloworld apps (each different to tell apart), both on port 80, e.g.:
- demo1.localhost -> helloworld1
- demo2.localhost -> helloworld2
Each of the images works fine if I run them via docker run in isolation.
Using Powershell from my project dir, /app, when I run docker-compose up I get the following:
The Traefik service launches, I can visit the dashboard just fine but the routing table doesn't show my routes. demo1 and demo2 launch just fine, but obviously I can't connect to them because the routing isn't working.
Even though the services all launch successfully - I repeatedly get the following errors:
traefik | ... "Failed to create a client for docker, error: protocol not available" providerName=docker
traefik | ... "Provider connection error protocol not available, retrying ..." providerName=docker
I've included my docker-compose.yml file below, which is the only file in my dir, /app.
docker-compose.yml:
# app/docker-compose.yml
version: '3.8'
networks:
myweb:
driver: nat
services:
proxy:
image: traefik:v2.3.0-rc4-windowsservercore-1809
container_name: traefik
ports:
- "80:80"
- "8080:8080"
volumes:
- source: '\\.\pipe\docker_engine'
target: '\\.\pipe\docker_engine'
type: npipe
command:
- "--api.insecure=true"
- "--providers.docker"
- "--providers.docker.exposedbydefault=false"
- "--entrypoints.web.address=:80"
networks:
- myweb
labels:
- "traefik.http.routers.dashboard.rule=Host(`dash.localhost`)"
- "traefik.docker.network=app_myweb"
demo1:
image: helloworld:1
container_name: demo1
labels:
- "traefik.enable=true"
- "traefik.docker.network=app_myweb"
- "traefik.port=80"
- "traefik.http.routers.demo1.rule=Host(`demo1.localhost`)"
# Have tried this below, doesn't help.
# volumes:
# - source: '\\.\pipe\docker_engine'
# target: '\\.\pipe\docker_engine'
# type: npipe
networks:
- myweb
depends_on:
- proxy
demo2:
image: helloworld:2
container_name: demo2
labels:
- "traefik.enable=true"
- "traefik.docker.network=app_myweb"
- "traefik.port=80"
- "traefik.http.routers.demo2.rule=Host(`demo2.localhost`)"
networks:
- myweb
depends_on:
- proxy
I saw a suggestion somewhere that I should enable the setting "Expose daemon on tcp://localhost:2375 without TLS" in Docker Desktop settings, which I have done but doesn't help.
My setup is:
- Docker Desktop (v19.03.12) for Windows
- Docker using Windows Containers
- Windows 10 (10.0.18363 Build 18363)
Question #1:
Anybody have any idea what might be causing the problem?
Question #2:
Notice in my file I also have a route set up for the dashboard, to route from dash.localhost to localhost:8080/dashboard, but even that doesn't work. Any idea how to get that working? Do I need to tell it to route from 80->8080 for the dashboard?